Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veterans' Day: A Legacy of Service and Honor

A military cap and Bible were placed on the altar of my church, on Veteran's Day 2012. An honorable gesture to all the men and women who have served in the military of the United States of America. 

It was then noted the cap and Bible were from John Griffith, a long time member of Bethany United Methodist Church in Austin, Texas. It was a way to honor the many years of John's service for organizing the Veterans' Day procession at Bethany. 

I'm in the midst of writing this series of blogs about building a legacy and was struck by the simplicity in expressing the legacy of a man who was living vibrantly into his eighties. Sadly, earlier this year, he was struck down by a car that veered off a street and onto the running trail John was on. He left a wonderful family of children, grandchildren and friends.

The rest of this story continues to live itself out each and every day because of John's family and the impact he made on so many others, like myself. John's legacy stands clear and present by how he lived his life day in and day out. He lived a life of service to others, starting with his family and country, growing into serving his church, schools, community and at work.

John is one of the men who I revere and consider a mentor. Bethany is blessed with many men like John. Men who show the way by how consistently they have lived their lives, how they have expressed their love for others by serving in all the ways they can and as often as they can. Of course there are many women who do the same and more. But, it was John's cap and Bible on the altar.

One of my first experiences with John, he was teaching me how to do the behind the scenes activities at our church's annual family retreat and lead others to help. At the time, I'm in my late forties and while I knew how to do all these things, there was clearly something about John that was different. I knew there was much more for me to learn.

Thus, the significance of John's cap and Bible, for me. The cap a clear expression of his servant-leader's heart and the Bible expressing John's belief in the Word to be the hands and feet of Christ. I can now see just how clearly John demonstrated this all to me in his actions and words as we made coffee, at 5:00 AM, for the approaching hundred or more adults waking up at family camp. John was a man willing to do the small things and was highly capable at leading the big stuff.

John organized Bethany to be a drop-off location for clothing to aid the families of New Orleans after Katrina. This drop-off location was the best organized in the city and became a primary hub for clothing from Austin to New Orleans. I called John late one evening because I had received a call from someone who knew me and wanted to find out the logistics to donate. After John heard the situation, he exclaims, "tell me where they are and I'll drive over right now to pick it up." It was 9:00 PM. At the time, John was in his seventies and tireless. 

I am blessed to know many men like John and each of them has modeled "The Way" for me and to many others I know. I pray the cap and Bible on the altar today, stirred the souls of others to understand the significance of a simple cap and Bible to express the living legacy of one man and the difference he made. Then, in that understanding, may you also feel the stir in your soul to seek and understand the significance of Christ when he knelt to wash the feet of his brothers.

What two items would speak volumes for how you lived, served and loved throughout your life? 

Thank you, John for showing me how to live out my legacy each day. Who knows when we will suddenly run out of time.

John William Griffith

~ Alan Goldsberry, Author and CEO of ZFactor Group Publishing

No comments: