Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Research Confirms Boomers Will Be Rolled Into Their Graves

Research Confirms Boomers Are Successful At Being All Used Up

What kind of shape are you in?

A Gen Y'r +Jason Dorsey, I have met and think he is an amazingly smart and ambitious young man - and quite accomplished for his age - recently posted a +The New York Times article on LinkedIn questioning if Boomers are out of shape (article). Very appropriate for Jason to post an article like this as his business is helping corporations learn how to communicate cross-generational.

As I read the article, many thoughts rattled around. Such as, "I've stayed in decent shape by way of a little yoga and +P90X" to remembering the President's Fitness Council and the incredibly boring exercises we were forced to do in gym class to this whole fitness thing only started because a study in the 1950s said European youth were in better shape than American youth. Well, I guess the Boomers took care of that concern. Go USA!

Actually, what compelled me to post this blog is a quote from the article. 

"Boomers were more likely to use devices to assist them with walking, for example, or to have physical problems that limited their work."

As I read the quote, it's clear the researchers view this as a negative, but being a Boomer and knowing all the Boomers I know, I believe we would view this as positive because it confirms a popular Boomer motto:

"I want to have lived a big, full, rich life such that I'm all used up when they roll me into my grave." Or, as Cindy (my wife) says, "I want to come sliding into Heaven, torn and tattered yelling YEE-HAA."

It is important to note the article did not say Boomers were not walking. They are just being assisted in their walking with devices. And, it did not say Boomers have stopped working. They are only limited in their work. Sounds like Boomers are still getting the job done, no matter what gets in their way.

The research points to the fact Boomers are living longer, which means we have more opportunity to get all used up. I view that as another positive outcome of the research. Nice to know even in our 60s, we still have another 30+ years to get all used up.

It's nice to be confirmed by valid research that Boomers are accomplishing their lifetime objective to "Just roll me in my grave when I die."

Keep on walking and working Boomers. It's in our DNA to keep on trucking through the fog...

~ Alan Goldsberry, Author and CEO of ZFactor Group Publishing

ZFactor blog explores and discusses a variety of techniques, tools and discoveries by successful people that will assist others to achieve greater personal and professional success. ZFactor is a proprietary coaching methodology based upon the premise that successful people think and act differently. The ZFactor methodology is proven to accelerate a person's ability to think and act differently.

No comments: