Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I Say Merry Christmas, What Do You Say?

My amazing wife, Cindy, declared last week, she wants to be more engaging with people relative to the upcoming holiday season. Rather than just say, "Happy Holidays" she wants to be more engaging with people and get to know them better than just responding, "Happy Holidays to You."

You have to know Cindy to understand the way she thinks about other people. First, she really cares about other people and she has a quality about herself that when others are around her, they just love Cindy.

Cindy says to me, "Instead of waiting for others to say, Happy Holidays, I'm going to say - I say +Merry Christmas, what do you say?" Her reasoning is pretty simple. She wants others to know she values being a Christian and does not want to water down her belief because of some political correctness. And, most importantly she wants others to feel comfortable in expressing their personal values, as well. It's about honoring other people and the result is you get to know a little more about them.

With a little thought about this on my part - we live in a vibrant, highly mobile, multi-cultural society. If we truly want world peace for our progeny, we need to be responsible for understanding and getting to know who other people are. If I just say, "Merry Christmas" without offering the option to others to express their belief, I can sound rude and politically incorrect. That behavior does not represent the love of Christ nor does it open the door for any further engaging conversations. If I merely say, "Happy Holidays" that is not expressing who I am. This is obviously the quandary many of us have experienced in these politically correct decades, but then if you know Cindy like I know Cindy, you too will take pause and ponder upon what she says - and, consider what you will say.

So, I tried out Cindy's saying and surprisingly it opened up some interesting discussions that would have never happen if I had blindly said, "Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays." After a couple of times I began to realize that it really is about relationship and honoring the relationships we have with others, especially with those we have just met or know professionally. Yep, I now have to admit to my wife, I'm a little slow and for the first time ever - she has thought of something before me. (and if you believe that, well, I can find the perfect coach for you.)

The responses to me saying, "I say Merry Christmas, what do you say" have typically been a chuckle and then they say, "Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays" and we all go on our merry way. A couple of the responses have been a chuckle and they say, "I'm Jewish and I say Happy Hanukkah." I respond, "Happy Hanukkah." It's about honoring who people are, getting to know them a little better, and since I'm a Christian - being more like Christ.

No matter your background, religion or race, 'tis the season to take a moment and be more loving with others. As I understand it, Jesus was born into a Jewish family and a group of Magi (from Persia - some might say pre-Muslim) came to visit him and present him gifts upon his birth. And, those gifts provided safe passage for Jesus and family to escape the slaughter of the children by King Herod. I'm figuring God has a plan and, in his infinite wisdom, He is giving us time to figure it out.

Be kind and loving to others who think and act differently than you,

~ Alan Goldsberry, Author and CEO of ZFactor Group Publishing

No comments: